With over 200 million global users, the messaging and mobile ecosystem giant WeChat tasked YMC with launching their core mobile app in the U.S. with the goals of driving user acquisition, DAUs, and in-app purchasing.
YMC built a multi-tiered campus-focused marketing campaign, based around student brand ambassadors, campus events, celebrity/influencer partnerships, and in-app contests and sweepstakes targeting campuses with a high population of smart phone users and early tech adopters.
- Hundreds of WeChat student brand ambassadors fully transitioned their messaging habits to WeChat, and enticed their peers with exciting custom campus events, high value promotional items, and social promotion
- Campus events included nationwide app engagement contest promotion to the largest student organizations on campus, study breaks in key high-traffic areas of campus, and surprise and delight moments
- Celebrity and influencer partnerships to drive new users and engagement into the WeChat application
- Peer-education of WeChat’s features to show the core differentiation against competitive messaging apps
- Over 3,000 WeChat mobile app downloads per week of the campaign (iOS and Android)
- An average of 20% of the student population engaged per campus, targeting colleges and universities of 15,000 – 55,000 students each